top of page
The organization now known as "Evergreen Baptist Church" was perfected under the name of 'New South Benson Church," on January 6, 1884, with twenty-three charter members, at the home of Mr. John Jenkins, Bridgeport, Franklin County, Kentucky.
Elder B.T. Quinn, of Georgetown, Kentucky, and Elder J.M. Lewis, Frankfort, Kentucky, assisted in the organization of the church. The original officers of "New South Benson Church" were Trustees, John Jenkins, Thomas Farmer, Charles Jenkins and Franklin Morris; Deacons, D.D. Parker, J.W. Jenkins, F.M. Schofield, and Franklin Morris; Moderator Thomas Farmer; Clerk C.H. Parrent and Pastor B.F. Hungerford.
On Saturday, November 7, 1885, the name of the church changed from "New South Benson Church" to what it's been known as ever since, "Evergreen Baptist Church". On the following day, Sunday, November 8, 1885, the new church house was dedicated with Dr. William Pratt preaching the dedicatory sermon and Dr. J.M. Lewis and Pastor B.F. Hungerford assisting in the services.
bottom of page